PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Covid Air NZ
Thread: Covid Air NZ
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2020, 04:56
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The AFFA was always due to expire. It was self renewing every 3 rosters to a maximum of 9 and would require another ratification ballot to extend any further... many of us pointed out in the early days that the 60IP trigger being tied to the AFFA was pointless as re-hiring was extremely unlikely occur during it's validity, but that's probably why the company agreed to it. From memory, it expires in January and the cost savings have already been accounted for until that point. So we're not terminating it early, just wont be extending it.

I had previously thought we would vote to extend it, however as Pilots down-trained to a lower paid position (i.e. most of us) are exempted from the Paycut, I believe the savings just aren't there anymore. Even more so now with the removal of all 777 Positions from the Notional List.

If we can't keep the 60 IP trigger post AFFA, then ideally we can get the company to agree on some trigger for re-hiring. As has been pointed out on the ALPA forums, IP is always cheaper per hour than hiring more Pilots, it's only F&D limitations (and fatigue reports) that can cause the company issues when the hours are up. 777 Pilots were constantly bouncing off 100/28 limits last year flying ~90hr rosters.

Honestly, and I might be proven wrong, I strongly believe any talk of Furloughed Pilots being removed from the list is just that... talk. The CC have been getting a rather raw deal from the Company lately (partly due to the failings of their Unions) and it's entirely possibly Chinese whispers have that extending to Pilots.