PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Issued EASA PPL and now moving to Germany - Now what?!
Old 18th Oct 2020, 14:08
ben5560

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK Issued EASA PPL and moving to Germany - Now what?!

Hello!

I have just passed obtained my brand new, UK Issued EASA PPL. However, i am just about to move to Germany in a couple of weeks...

In Germany, i have found a local flying club running both N Reg and a D Reg plane. I plan to join this club in order to do hour building whilst I am based there. Of course, like many others, I now have the worries surrounding Brexit and the UK leaving EASA, and to top it off I have my Class 1 medical booked at Birmingham tomorrow, which i wanted to get done before I go, so i don't start chucking money at hour building unnecessarily (I still feel it is worth getting the class one on Monday, but realise that it will maybe not mean anything outside the UK post 31 Dec, unless i transfer it).

I think there are two parts to my problem:
1. I need a way of actually being able to fly whilst I am there. I think my options are:
  • Convert my license to Germany, along with my new Class one in order to remain with EASA and therefore fly the D Reg planes there
  • Validate my license in Germany
  • Keep the UK PPL, Obtain a standalone FAA license, obtainable with a written exam undertaken there and a flight with an FAA examiner.
2. The question many are asking, of whether an EASA ATPL is more valuable than a UK one, this decision partly drives the last one.
I like many others truly hope they come up with some bilateral agreement, so this all goes away. I also believe that they will still action license requests after 31 Dec, as the UK PPL will still be ICAO compliant and therefore still transferable?

Does anyone have any advice? Pretty new to all this, I basically just want to fly in Germany for three years whilst studying for ATPLs somewhere!!

Last edited by ben5560; 19th Oct 2020 at 11:31.