PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Lockheed "Starfighter" story
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2020, 09:54
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by The AvgasDinosaur
I understand that the characteristic ‘howl’ of a Star was created at a certain throttle setting ?
am I correct
David
In the early 70s the howl was a daily occurrence at Prestwick, where maintenance was carried out on these 1950's winged missiles. Fascinating to watch with takeoffs well over 200kts, and landings at (IIRC) about 180-190kts. The howl was heard pretty much throughout the takeoff roll.

In 1968 I flew to Nürnberg as part of a four ship Navex; in Hiller 12E windup clockwork toys! On the way we had the inevitable experience of being underflown by a gaggle of F104Gs, and then overnighted at Büchel where we looked after quite magnificently by the Luftwaffe and hosted by an F104G Squadron. As a newly minted Acting Sub-Lieutenant I was bitterly envious of one of their pilots who was about my age (21) and driving around the skies in one of those machines: we went off somewhere for a drink or three and I mislaid the bottle of Jägermeister I'd acquired. No worries, after breakfast he had the Officer's Mess bar opened and they sold me another bottle; at 07:00

Efficient lot; happy days.