PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tv series
Thread: Tv series
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2020, 08:21
deja vu

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by boaccomet4
Watched the first episode on SBS and will be interested to see how much they will actually show in the series as much of the footage was dominated by ads.
I was lucky enough as a boy to travel often with the with Ansett-ANA, TAA,EWA, Airlines of NSW (aka Butler Airways and Barrier Reef Airways) and have to agree that the 1960's and 70's were the Golden Era of Aviation. Was definitely only for the wealthy but the inflight service was pretty good as were the meals. It was all very glamorous and people dressed as if they were going to a formal dinner. Still have menus, junior flyer club logbooks and other collectables from that era. Most memorable flights were First Class on a BOAC Comet 4 to AKLjust prior to their retirement and return in a QF Electra, QF707 to AKL and return with TEAL/Air New on DC8 Sydney to Noumea on UTA Caravelle, and Sydney Lord Howe and return on the old Sunderland/Sandringham flying boats. But in those days the legroom, inflight meals and service was great in both First and Economy and the cabin crew were proud of the product.
Probably the best documentary of the Golden Ae of air travel is 'Come Fly With Me The Story of PANAM' which you can watch on youtube.
Yes, those who experienced those times were indeed lucky.
As Morno pointed out, it is only a seat for a few hours, and you can now get from A to B for a pittance. Its a bit like comparing a Macca's drive thru meal with watered down coke syrup to a fine dining restaurant. Both satisfy a need but one always ends in a promise of never again and the other is a memorable and special experience albeit at a little more significant expense. I guess if both have never been experienced its more difficult to know. The end result of the LCC introduction as you see now, everyone has lost except for the blue singlet brigade. And the real shame is what is laughingly called a "full service" carrier is only marginally better, same attitude though.

On the topic of SBS having to weave in a "land rights" moan into a story about aviation, thats the norm for our anti OZ broadcaster, expect more in the next 2 episodes. I understand there is a claim of sexism coming up because a new airline recruit was forced to do a ground school instead of moving straight to the cockpit, you can't make this stuff up.