PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LFPB RWY 07 go-around
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2020, 07:02
733driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EatMyShorts!
It would be bad airmanship to descend to such a low altitude in IMC. I won't be doing this. In my company these MAPs at Le Bourget have been discussed at length and I won't be descending if I need to go around from an altitude above. Normally you go missed at a lower altitude, because you cannot see the runway or because you hit windshear.
So, what has been the outcome of these discussions? Did they involve Paris ATC? Did they result in guidance staring not to fly the MA as published?

If you are concerned about not being able to safely execute the published missed then you should get different MA instructions prior to the event.

I do agree that this is not a desirable procedure but if briefed and perhaps even practiced in the sim it can be done safely. When briefing it the emphasis should not only be on the lateral and vertical profile but also how to fly it. Which modes, use of automation, configuration changes etc. If you are going down on the ILS all you have to do initially is continue on the ILS down to the initial MA altitude. You need to make sure the FMS sequences past the MAP and that the aircraft levels off at the MAA.

In the aircraft I fly there is an "activate MA" prompt on the procedures page of the FMS. That takes care of lateral NAV. Hitting TO/GA does the same thing but then I would have to disconnect the AT and select an appropriate vertical mode such as VS, keeping the last vertical speed, typically -700ft/min or so. I brief to leave the configuration alone until we start climbing in accordance with the procedure. At that point I call for the G/A flap setting and upon positive rate, gear up. From then on it's pretty much a normal go around.

Basically this MA if initiated from above the MAA requires no initial change in thrust, flight path and configuration. With that in mind, it doesn't have to turn into an ugly mess.