PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A masterclass in situation management
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2020, 03:23
Chronic Snoozer

Received 333 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by junior.VH-LFA
Young people have been consistently dealt a **** hand by a generation that profited enormously off of the labour and sacrifice of the greatest generation in a massive economic boom. You have left young people with a housing market they can't buy into, education expenses that you had paid for and a climate on the brink. I'm not sure why you're surprised that when they get handed this **** sandwich of a deficit that they'd question whether it's been worth it when they'll be paying it off for you for the rest of their workings lives. Boomers are sacrificing nothing and gaining everything, at the expense of everyone else and then getting pissed off at being questioned over it.
Sounds like the boomers who were dealt the sh!t sandwich of recovering from WWII just got on and did it instead of whinging about how the generation before it had is so good. And some of those boomers are self-funded retirees mind, living way past their use by date thanks to fantastic developments in medicine and palliative care that their generation supported, all while trying to live off dividends which will dry up if they haven’t already. Climate change is the fault of boomers? Drawing a long bow there. I think that might have technically kicked off in the 1800s.

Let’s just conveniently ignore the quality of life that today’s “young people” (whatever that means) enjoy, computers, iPhones, instant information on the web, online shopping, home delivered meals, universal healthcare, gap years, worldwide travel for $500, betting apps, smashed avocado, and music streaming. So much self gratification and consumption at your fingertips.

You don’t get to retirement age and then expect to continue ‘sacrificing’, it’s done in the years well before then and there’s nothing wrong wanting to enjoy retirement. Boomers do not run today’s governments.

Instead of whining about how unfair it all is, get elected and abolish negative gearing. Get elected and finance free education for all - see how much debt that can generate. Get elected and bring in a real climate change policy. But most of all stop whining. Nobody wants COVID.

(No, I’m not a boomer, not retired nor did I get a free Uni degree.)