PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407
Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2003, 12:11
407 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valid points Lama Bear, although I must offer a few differences of opinion.
The lower bathtub in a 206-206-407 is very strong, and does extend to the T/R pedals.
There is no fuel tank under you seat...assuming you are the pilot. There is fuel under the rear seat and midship seats. personally, I have not seen these rupture, but then I have rarely attended a light or intermediate Bell accident.
The 350 fuel tank is in a bomb proof location, but that's basically where the passengers sit in a Bell, a very well protected area. The Bell transmissions have been known to wander, but rarely impact the survivablity in that rear compartment, be it 206-206L-or 407.

You're assuming that the 350 accident does not roll over, you must admit that there is virtually no protection above you. The mast as a roll bar? in many cases the Star does not shatter nor shed all blades, so you have to contend with spinning shrapnel. (as with most types) I have seen that take place.
I have some interesting pics, but it may be of poor judgement to post them here, I could email you what I have (so unfortunately) seen.
Our company buys and rebuilds many of the worlds 407 wrecks, I have crawled around many of them, and find the cabin area to be quite well protected in most cases. (ie Delaware State Police, Louisiana State, Salta, Chile to name a few wrecks)
I have 11,000 flying Alison engines, and 2,200 flying Ariels, (the remainder is sweet old twin Pratts!) In my experiences, only Ariels have let me down, and big-time.
I fully agree with you on the 500, although I have no time on type.
This whole argument will never go away, It's all Ford Vs Chevvy, Apple Vs PC, Miller Vs Coors, etc,...

What ever your operating or what ever your preferences are, stay safe down there Lama. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

Last edited by 407 Driver; 4th Dec 2003 at 12:29.