PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A masterclass in situation management
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2020, 13:28
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabbitwear
Why no mention of the security companies failing their duties in Security, I mean it’s their Business right .
The private security companies have managed to avoid any punishment.
The first thing I would do is remove them from all Australian Airports.
I have constantly been thinking the same thing.

But...

Private security companies are not answerable to the People of Victoria. Only the Government is. The only thing at stake for them is their reputation, and maybe WHS breaches.

At the end of the day, they were employed by someone in Government to do a job. With 48 hrs notice.

Did they have suitably trained staff just sitting around on standby to do the job? Of course not. So they had to rapidly employ or sub-contract unsuitable staff to do it.

As a result, they failed. Should the “someone” in Government have known that? Yes, they should. Would they have been likely to know that? No, they wouldn’t. Why not? Because we have a governmental system in place whereby politicians are given portfolios over industries they know nothing about. That’s the system. That’s exactly why Turnbull fckd up the NBN when he was Communications Minister. He even admitted that he didn’t even know how to turn on a computer. But he was put in charge of the project.

That doesn’t seem to be the focus of the inquiry, which is strange, because that was the real problem.

The other part of the problem was that once Scomo realised that his international passenger arrival policy of “please stay home for 14 days” wasn’t working, he just lumped it on the State governments to implement forced international arrival hotel quarantine, with 48 hrs notice. Which is NOT a State government responsibility. International quarantine is a Federal responsibility.

If I had been a State Premier, I would have said to Scomo “Sorry, but no. Not my job. You sort it out, I’m busy. Oh, and BTW, no more international arrivals into my State until you do. “

At least that would have given Scomo something to do while all the State Premiers are working their arses off while he snipes from the sidelines when he’s not watching footy or planning his next family holiday in Hawaii.