PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L3 Harris, the final shafting
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2020, 06:59
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Originally Posted by flybyschool
"Are all of the 80 hours aeroplanes credited against a CPL/IR with a frozen ATPL? Or only a proportion of those hours counted?"

I might be wrong but as far as I understand it from my team, there is no "conversion" between MPL and ATPL... so there is no credit for those flight hours
Would love to hear I am wrong and explaining how the credit can be done
It may well depend how the flying syllabus is written.
If it is the case that up what would be required for PPL issue, the syllabus is common for both MPL & fATPL students, and the progress test taken at that point is by a FI authorised to conduct PPL tests, then it may be possible for a PPL to be issued. If not, then a test now by an approved person is required for PPL issue.

After this point there is probably a divergence in syllabus with more SE followed by some ME flying, both resulting in a shortfall compared to the CPL/IR syllabus. Simulator time ME would also have a shortfall in hours.

Phase 2 & 3 now occurs, with 30 multicrew simulator exercises in say an A320 or B737, totalling 120 hours training.
Phase 4 is the Type Rating Course (standard issue)& base training. The TRI & TRE must also be both MPL approved instructors.
The type rating paperwork now fully completed triggers MPL issue.

The Regulator would hopefully take a pragmatic view and recognise that at least the PPL can be issued.
Furthermore, hopefully recognise that if appropriate training and testing in SE and ME to cover the shortfall is completed then CPL/IR is possible.

A modular route would require the necessary hour building to “top up” MPL course flying to a point before the CPL & IR modular courses.

All this must be carefully executed fully complying with what the REGULATOR written instructions specify.

My I end by saying this is a dreadful situation to find yourself in, through no fault of your own.
Any future scheme must have the airline fully sponsoring the cadet as is/was the case of Aer Lingus.
The only decent show in town.

Last edited by parkfell; 27th Sep 2020 at 07:17. Reason: TRI/TRE v. MPLi