PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 7th Sep 2020, 21:27
llamaman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclic
I hate the willy waving on here but most of the demilitarised SAR Force had been part of the militarised RAF at some stage. Some of the most challenging and dangerous flying that required sheer grit from some of the bravest guys and gals I have met happened when I was in yellow. I wasn’t a great fan of the structure and how it ended which is why I voted with my feet and left but to try and say that the SARF wasn’t a relevant part of the RAF is at best insulting and at worst shows little knowledge. We weren’t being shot at but neither were the SH force for some considerable part of their existence. I think the RN guys at Prestwick and Culdrose would take particular exception to your assertions.
Not sure how you made the jump to me questioning how challenging and dangerous (sometimes) SAR can be. My point was that RAF SAR (bar 84 Sqn) had almost no military value by the end except as a good PR machine. Having done both SH and SAR I have been as scared being shot at on Operations as I have flying in Snowdonia and the Scottish mountains at night in ****ty weather. Not sure how my comments imply I have little knowledge, it's just an opinion to which you have every right to disagree with. Also no idea what relevance the RN Flights are to your point either?

I am in no way 'willy waving', just making a credible argument. Some people need to get over the fact that SAR has evolved and will not be coming back to the military. We did it very well and so now is HMCG. Anyway, Crab says I need to grow up; I thought part of being grown up was having the right to an opinion and challenging those of others occasionally?