PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HOLD ON TO YOUR UNDERPANTS !!
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2020, 21:17
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxorcist
You took a pass on the central themes of my post. I never said HK was Marxist or in danger of becoming so, as Mainland China isn’t actually communist or Marxist. They are an autocratic oligarchy practicing crony capitalism with military and statist integration fostering a dystopian society.

The central tenets of my post apply Marxism to personal preferences and desired behaviors. This notion that CX can simply afford to keep paying 3500 pilots and well over ten thousand flight attendants reflect unrealistic views of finance. I argue that those stem from leftist academia upon our youth.

If you want to dispute those assertions, feel free, but don’t just chuck a spear and run away.
I don't see where you are going with this.
Where does "Marxism" come into play?

First of all, all decisions regarding employment or recruitment numbers are taken by a pure capitalist corporation based in one of the most libertarian and free market cities in the world.

Then of course every employee hopes that if there will be layoffs it won't be him or her, nothing to do with an alleged "marxist" attitude. Pure self-preservation.

And which university in Hong Kong do you think is "marxist" anyway? Yes, I actually agree with you, there might be a disproportionate post-modern influence in academia in some humanity faculties, at least in the western hemisphere (although the likes of Jordan Peterson are frankly a bit obsessed with this idea, universities were always progressive).

But none of our recruits has been anywhere near these institutions, nor have I met a lot of left-of-centre colleagues in the first place, regardless of age and seniority. The vast majority of us has conservative political views, or is even extreme libertarian ( but of course happily accept a bail out by the dreaded state when it suits us :-).Your claim of wide-spread marxism looks more like a shot in the dark to me.

I also would advise against your repeated stereo-typical labelling of an entire generation. Please remind yourself that this is really a recurring psychological phenomenom in human history. Every generation looks down on the next one for some reason, usually claiming the young are "too weak" or "spoiled". It is probably a defense mechanism of the aging human psyche, we should resist falling into that trap.The kids are alright.

Lastly, you seem to assume that in a proper functioning capitalist and marxist-free environment the senior employees should be protected. Well, will see about that.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 6th Sep 2020 at 23:49.