PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is age 29 really "over the hill"??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2003, 18:24
Northern Highflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam

As MJR has said there is plenty already on here about this very topic.

As a starter though, it all depends on the airlines' requirements at any specific time. Some prefer younger, some older, some prefer experience, some take on newly qualified guys/girls straight out of training. Youth brings the potential of more working years to be gained from that person, but how many people stay in the same job 5 or 10 years ? With age you have experience of life which can be an advantage in the right place.

Remember that there is a lot more flying out there than the obvious airline work, but whatever type of flying you want to do, you have to be in it to win it.

I know people who have got their first airline job in their forties, one was only last year during the big downturn in recruitment. Sponsorships are a lot thinner on the ground than they used to be, no matter what age you are.

You have 4 years start on me too, so if you are past it then I don't stand a cat in hells chance of getting an airline job, but as I type this I am steadily digesting the ATPL exam notes because I don't want to look back and wonder "what if". I have the belief that I have what it takes to succeed, and that, more than age is what matters IMHO.

Best of luck.

NHF