PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide Redundant Pilots-Smile Please
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2020, 10:29
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoelEvans
... I am not a redundant pilot and due to several very fortunate circumstances face no chance of becoming one (again!). ...
I apologise if I might have given a misleading impression that I have some 'golden ticket' to avoid redundancy. I am one of those who is going to be forced out due to age (they call it 'retirement'!). Yes, some may not want to continue, but there are still some of us who thoroughly enjoy the job. I will leave with very, very fond memories of a wonderful career. And as such I will be one of those leaving vacancies for others.

However, there has been mention of the "55+". Those that I feel very, very sorry for are the 55 to 60 pilots, especially regional pilots (who were never the wealthiest), who are losing their jobs. By not continuing to 'full term' they have had their pension planning shattered with very little chance of getting back to recover lost ground. And if they do manage to get back into a flying job, they will be forced out again two years before they will be able to receive a State Pension (that is for UK pilots) therefore being hit by a 'double whammy'. This is unfair and for domestic work needs to change in line with some of the more enlightened, civilised countries in the world.

This present situation is going to change a lot in the industry but won't last forever. (As a personal 'show of support' for those who have lost or are losing jobs due to this present situation I will never buy anything from the place that caused all of this and I have been pleased to find that alternatives are usually quite easily available.) Good luck to all of you with your futures.