PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757 pilot had history of hairy landings
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 08:51
Uplinker

Received 117 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Bus Driver Man
Yes, but GS Mini minimises the need for big thrust changes.
A positive gust increases your IAS, but the Vapp target increases as well. Only a small thrust increase should be required to compensate for the extra headwind.
A negative gust decreases your IAS, but the Vapp target decreases as well.

I think that misd-agin is referring to the A/THR overcorrecting in gusty conditions. Which it does. With the risk of reducing or adding too much power just before or during the flare.
I must have been lucky then because in 13 years of flying A320/321 and A330, I don't remember ever seeing the auto-thrust overreact; it follows the speed bug. (I have seen it very busy on A320/321 and also had it under-react on A330). And I have landed in extremely gusty conditions seconds away from going around on several occasions because I had almost run out of roll authority.

The point of groundspeed mini is that it maintains the energy of the aircraft. If the headwind blows harder, the engines push harder, which maintains the energy, (and the groundspeed). This is completely opposite to a Boeing, which maintains the IAS, and would reduce thrust with a headwind gust. But one should not apply one type's SOP in the other.

I am very wary of pilots who pull for speed or use manual thrust to override Airbus ground speed mini. (Not saying you do).