PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757 pilot had history of hairy landings
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2020, 22:31
CaptainMongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Check Airman
The article said the captain should have intervened earlier. How’s one supposed to train or evaluate a student on landings if intervention is done at the first sign of trouble?

When training a new Line Check Airman I have a :45 minute brief I give called, “Verbally Managing the Landing.” (A319/320 - when training new Bus pilots I give a trainee version of this brief to them. This will familiarize them with the commands I will state in the landing phase and their expected appropriate response)

50’ AGL is where the start point of the brief and the selection of reverse is the end point. I identify gates, trainee action or inaction, verbal check airman commands (One - two words, easily said, easily understood), trainee response correct or incorrect and then further check airman verbal commands or, most likely, take over. Anticipation underpins all. (Obviously with no yoke, there’s no tactile nor visual feedback, that’s tough for a new check airman, one has to think about the landing phase differently when teaching IMHO)

You are correct you don’t have to intervene “at the first sign of trouble.” (Unless late in the landing phase) But I have found in almost all cases you should intervene at the second sign of trouble.

my 2¢.