PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2020, 08:24
206 jock

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The trouble is, the marketing message of this proposed new machine is naively directed to this utopian vision that you wake up on a Friday morning, kiss your gorgeous wife goodbye for the day, gather a few minions around you and waft off to some 'meetings' around the country. You return later in the afternoon (another million richer, of course), dismiss your team, kiss your wife again and thank her for the lovely supper she has prepared for you. The next morning, you wake up, think 'A trip to somewhere delightful for lunch, methinks'. So you fire up the machine and off you go again.

Reality is somewhat different. On Friday you wake up and even though you've planned the trip for about a week beforehand, the promised blue skies have disappeared and it's low scud and a 40mph wind. And it's raining. Even though it's August So now you have to either delay your departure (you already told your team to make their own way, in case this happened) or drive. And on Saturday, the delightful restaurant is already full. And the bloke next door has put his horses in the field on your boundary and you know will moan, the dog needs taking to the vet, or there's a delivery by Amazon due or whatever.

I do about 25 hours a year myself and my son another 15 - a local flying school will do 60ish, which helps with the running costs. I believe that I am fairly typical, if not on the high side of utilisation of 'truly private owners', in the UK at least.

So while the HX50 is an interesting proposition, I'm not sure it would tempt me out of a legacy 206. Maybe I'm not the target market but in 25 years of flying helicopters, I'm not sure I've met many others that would be either...