PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK leaving EASA - implications for Instructors
Old 28th Aug 2020, 11:08
Happy Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK leaving EASA - implications for Instructors

Generally interested to gain views, insight and any advice please on the implications for licensing and FI certificates upon the UK leaving EASA.

My current understanding is based on the following:
  1. the UK will cease to be a member of EASA come 31st December 2020
  2. there is very little likelihood of a further extension of the current transition period beyond this date
  3. there is no mutual recognition agreement between the UK and EASA going forward
  4. current EASA licences and certificates become UK licences and certificates
  5. flying activities will be limited to UK-registered aircraft and training towards UK licences, rating and certificates ONLY
  6. to continue to fly EASA aircraft and instruct towards an EASA licence, a transfer of licence, medical and certificate to another EASA member state is now necessary via a transfer of SOLI (State of Licence Issue)
  7. UK-based ATOs cannot deliver EASA training after January 1st 2021 unless they have a base in EASA-land and apply to EASA to continue to deliver CPL training in the UK
  8. IR training and skill tests need to be done in EASA-land
My employer ATO is currently in the process of applying to continue to deliver EASA training going forward, although I don’t know how this can be achieved without some form of EASA-based representation or agency.

What are other FIs doing? Particularly interested to hear views from those currently working at larger ATOs. Personally I’m hugely reluctant to surrender my UK licence, but if that’s what’s required to continue instructing for EASA licences (on the basis of demand from EU airlines), then so be it.

Many thanks.

HW