PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2020, 08:55
212man

Received 334 Likes on 186 Posts
Therefore, Cat A take-off procedures are actually performed with reference to instruments even during day VFR operations.

RFM and TRI should emphasize that

- Category A take-off procedures are actually performed with reference to instruments even during day VFR operations
I have not flown the AW139 (except as pax) but have flown a number of types with vertical Cat A procedures, including types that have a nose high hover attitude, and I would disagree with your assertion. Being able to set pitch attitude by external reference is such a basic concept, that (should) be inculcated into a student pilot from their very first lessons, that does not change once you operate a larger more sophisticated aircraft. I am reminded of line training brand new ab-initio co-pilots, who would fixate on the PFD/ADI during take off - particularly offshore. On one occasion I asked the individual how long they thought they had been 'eyes in' during a rig departure - they thought a couple of seconds, whereas it was actually 13. I would often cover the PFD with the checklist to enforce the habit of looking at the' real horizon' rather than the 'artificial horizon'!

At night or DVE with no discernable horizon or references it is a totally different case, and I absolutely advocate reference to the instruments during this critical phase of flight, and it would/should have been the difference between a successful departure versus what actually happened in this accident flight (and many others).