PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide Redundant Pilots-Smile Please
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2020, 23:05
RAD_ALT_ALIVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a cracker of a thread - I hope many PPRuNers share their thoughts on it.

I too chose the wrong time (in hindsight) to move to a job closer to home. After less than 2 months at the new gig, they sent us all on LWOP before terminating us a couple months later. By us, I mean all the expats. It was my dream job, and I was devastated that it turned pear shaped so quickly! No word or hint or suggestion on whether they'll take us back if / when the market picks up.

So, I too feel the anxiety of the fast approaching, dreaded, '12 months since last flight' date. Having said that, it makes sense that when the market kicks off again, agencies/airlines will have very little option but to consider pilots who haven't flown since early in the pandemic. Else the only pool will be newbies with little experience - and I doubt the insurance companies will be happy with that!

However, it is concerning to see some airlines (well...one only that I've seen) recruiting for pilots at rates that are nothing short of offensive! The flag carrier of a far east nation is after TRI / TRE / LTC candidates at the princely sum of US$400 / MONTH base pay! No, I have not omitted any zeros - it is four hundred greenbacks of base pay. This is inclusive of the first 25 hours of flying. Thinking this was some kind of printing error, I contacted the agency. I was politely informed that the total monthly package, inclusive of per diems, for an average 80 to 85 hour month, would be between $3000 and $3500/ month.

Unbelievable! Never did I think I would see such unashamed devaluing of our profession. To offer that to First Officers would be bad enough. To line Captains, insulting in the extreme. To experienced training department pilots, it is just appalling.

I haven't seen (or heard of) any other companies trying on the same thing. I would hope that they get no applications, but we all know that there will be enough truly desperate guys and gals who will not be able to see past the benefit of recency. They will not see that they have given the wider industry an opportunity to join said far east flag carrier in bringing down Ts and Cs to ridiculous levels.

Hopefully the industry will get up and running again before this kind of thing becomes more widespread.