PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2020, 12:36
the coyote

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
10 degrees nose down for 1 second on takeoff in the 139 is a standard profile and should be so rehearsed to be second nature, and definitely no big deal in the dark.

As professional pilots in custody of other peoples lives, if we aren't all over our power and attitude settings and the resulting aircraft performance during such a takeoff we simply shouldn't be out there doing it, or flying IMC.

To me and others I'm sure, the CVR transcript is horrifying from the start. Lack of command leadership, cockpit workload management and discipline, standard procedures or use of checklists, lack of basic familiarity with aircraft systems. If I was in the back listening to the pilots I would have been terrified.

A tragic human factors failure in a very capable machine that didn't fail them, and in fact tried its best to save them from themselves.

We bang on about respecting aircraft limits, but it is crucial that we set and respect personal limits. After many years flying HEMS single pilot IFR, there has been countless times not adhering to personal limits could have brought us unstuck. Ego's simply do not belong in the cockpit in my view.