PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2020, 08:18
SLFMS

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Nescafe
Make up your own takeoff profile? That’s best left to the test pilots.

Nescafe I think it's a fair comment. Having flown a fair few black hole approaches and departures it's common practice to not nose over to aggressively on a vertical departure. I have not flown the 139 so can't say if it's right for that airframe but HEMS type operations require considerations out of the box.
It might take you outside of PC1 parameters but it's about risk management. On this one at least I think it's pretty clear the risk of CFIT was more than the risk of engine failure. Large changes in attitude trying to maintain PC profiles is definitely a good way to start disoriention.

Reading the transcript I had to check a couple of times to work out when they lifted off! I do wonder if because it was a medical evacuation that the crew acted with haste. It doesn't matter how urgent the flight is we always complete checks and brief etc. 3 minutes for pre takeoffs including departure brief would have made zero difference in the outcome of the patients they were picking up. Unfortunately it is one of the downsides for pilots inexperienced in medical evacuations. There is often a self imposed haste that isn't required. Having the boss in the back surely doesn't help that.

Last edited by SLFMS; 26th Aug 2020 at 09:29.