PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2020, 08:54
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Mac
I overheard a conversation in my dry cleaners which brought home the sad results of Covid 19 on BA. There was a gentleman in front of me on Sat who was a BA LH Captain who had flown back from SA early last week, and was told the following day that he was being made redundant after 30+ years with BA.
I know BA are getting a kicking over it's attitude to employees but TBH I'm struggling with that story (I'm not doubting what you heard Mr Mac, just doubt that you got or were given the whole story because it smells slightly of BS)....

AFAIK no pilots that senior in BA have been made compulsory redundant..so far that has only happened the bottom 250 pilots plus/minus, who in the main joined BA in the last year or two.

If he'd applied for Voluntary Redundancy he would have known what was in store and FWIW I don't know anybody who only got one days notice - in any event I certainly wouldn't label that as being "made" redundant

BA haven't routinely "done" fire arches for retirements for years - if at all in living memory at LHR, I've certainly never witnessed ones on the retirement trips I've been involved with. The best you'll get these days is a picture handed to you in crew report by a manager...

In current circumstances with hundreds of pilots leaving either forced or voluntarily over the next few days and weeks I doubt even a picture will be handed out.

Last edited by wiggy; 25th Aug 2020 at 09:21.