PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoking on the flight-deck
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2003, 23:00
feet dry

OK, to clarify some points....

If I ask an individual if they mind if I smoke, then that is exactly what that is...a question seeking either a positive or a negative response. I cannot evidently say the same for others who smoke. Now, I fully take your point that there are some who, for whatever reason, do not act responsibly in dealings with colleagues. To me this is a failure of company procedure in that the individual was allowed to ever occupy a position in which they find themselves able to treat subordinates in such ways. If a company has a standing order prohibiting a practice such as smoking, then that SO should be enforced.

I happen to pride myself in my ability to gauge a particular situation, and to deport myself accordingly. Therefore I would not put any subordinate (or other) in the position of feeling they should be complicit in any contravention of any regulation as you seem to imply. "Mind if I smoke?" is not a statement as far as I am concerned, it is a question; if you mind then say so.

Regarding other "anti-social" activities, according to Cancer Research UK the current level of those who smoke in the UK is one out of four people - 15million people who are all, therefore, anti-social. Swearing in public is already covered by various instruments (not least of which as a public order offence). Talking too loudly, well I might find it offensive but the person might be deaf; who am I to judge. Body-odour offensive? In the case of poor personal hygiene the person should be told; if it is due to a medical condition, I am certain any sufferer enjoys and relishes the prospect of causing offence every time they step out of the house. You may think I am being flippant, but I reiterate my previous point which was - smoking is not (yet) illegal in the good old United Kingdom. I am fully aware of my rights as a subject of this country, I also happen to be aware of my responsibilities to others around me; which is why if I ask someone if they mind if I smoke (which is my choice) they can either say yes or no (which is their choice).