PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada
Thread: Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 04:46
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously pre-COVID salaries, so without current cost-cutting measures that may be in place.
Four things:

First, if you're that far away from applying to an airline, you have other things to think about. Don't put the cart before the horse. I taught many students who had themselves in the left seat of an A320 - badges on their flight bags and all - yet couldn't keep a C172 on the centreline or couldn't figure out a hold entry in their head. Don't worry about the money until you're right ready to put the resume in. Even then, you should have noticed from those websites that AC has a 4-year fixed scale that is independent of aircraft type, so what you're really saying in your post is that you've not done any research and want to be spoon-fed. That's not the attitude that will win you over in an AC interview, so work on changing that right now before thinking about the money.

Second, if you do the math based on income taxes here in Canada, $54k gross is around $42 net, so no both websites are not saying very different things. They're saying the exact same thing. Also, why 80 hours? Most airline pilots in Canada are paid on a flight credit of around 75-77 hours in a month, so going up to 80 would either include a few hours of OT or would be paid out as straight time depending on how you got that many hours - at any rate, that information would skew the data for what you're trying to accomplish. Work with 75 hours. Besides, I can't really remember a month I ever flew up to the block like that, even before the disease that shall not be named. 80 hours is a lot of time away from home. The money is not worth it.

Third, the AC contract was fixed at 10 years back when it was signed, so this: https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...ian/air_canada is about as close as you're going to get. Contracts in Canada are between the company and the union and not for public dissemination in whole or in part. So what you're really asking is for someone to break their contract with the company. At a time where companies are just begging for reasons to reduce their costs.

Fourth, by the time you were hired, AC would have a new agreement with its pilots. I stand to be corrected on the specific date, but I believe negotiations are meant to open in 2023. This whole COVID mess will not likely see an off-the-street pilot hired until 2024 or 2025 at the earliest - that's lots of time for WACONS (Wages and Conditions) to change enough that your data could be far out to lunch.