PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 19:57
helonorth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torquetalk
Clearly taking off from the runway is always the best option if available. But they were there illegally as the airport was closed, with pad, taxiway and runway lighting switched off. From the transcript it sounds like they were able to identify the tower from obstacle lights on it and they had some help on the ground providing lighting guidance to the pad. So the question is which illegal approach and departure with only on-board lighting and maybe golf cart lights would be safest…. trick question.

Taking off with the FTR on the cyclic depressed is normal enough. The power is set, a profile is flown to achieve a safe airspeed (40-50 KIAS), then released. The AW139 is really stable and will continue to fly the attitude hands and feet free without any further AFCS mode engagement (although clearly best practice). All CAT A profiles then ensure a climb and acceleration to at least Vy. Safe. Really safe. That‘s why commercial operators fly them.

The PM didn’t intervene because he wan’t one. This was two single pilots who didn’t plan (or even brief) either the approach or departure properly. Nothing was ever agreed. So at what point does the PM notice a deviation, when there is no standard or plan? If they had flown a defined CAT A pad departure from the pad, that both understood, and were practiced in, then the outcome would surely have been very different. And there is another of the lamentable parallels with the G-LABL accident. The PNFs insight before impact was needed whilst they were still on the ground.
I didn't realize they were there illegally but if you're going to break the rules, break them! Couldn't they have done a rolling takeoff (40kts hard surface max?) to get some airspeed and then picked their way down the runway with landing lights another 25kts to V-mini? At least you can see something. You're now coupled up going into IMC and climbing. I do not fly a 139. Is this not approved? These guys were totally improvising, anyway. I don't think they had much of idea how dangerous what they were doing actually was.

I can see maybe taking off the FT for a day takeoff or at night with runway lights but a max performance into IMC? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I don't know why you would do this. The hat should work just fine with maybe a little push of forward cyclic. But take it out entirely? I'm sure it's stable as hell, but I image it's just basically a big R-22 with no SAS. About the only time I press the FT release is to center up the cyclic after a little hand flying. To me, taking out the SAS in that situation is a horrible idea to all but those that have been trained for it.

I realize it wasn't a two pilot crew but when you see the guy next to you in a dive and a banking so close to the ground (or water), plan or no plan, you gotta do something!

Last edited by helonorth; 22nd Aug 2020 at 20:38.