PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Italy threatens to ban Ryanair over alleged Covid-19 guideline violations
Old 18th Aug 2020, 23:50
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotLZ
... why is it that I haven't seen many terrestrial vehicles which have had their capacity chopped by a third or more for the sake of it? ...
Not sure where you have been looking, but buses and trains definitely being restricted in UK, which is where I am and where I know. To quote a local bus service FAQ:

In order to maintain social distancing between our customers, and in accordance with Government guidance, we will only be able to allow 1 in 2 passengers compared to our usual capacity on each bus.
And long distance, from the MegaBus FAQ:

Everyone will be sat in a window seat to allow for social distancing on board.
So that's buses - 50% capacity reduction. Trains (at least mainline) are running seat-reservation only, and with reduced capacity, again to quote a train FAQ (my emphasis):

It is important that you sit in your designated coach and seat number shown on your ticket or reservation confirmation email. All seats are socially distanced from other passengers.
They are clearly running at reduced capacity as well. The trains have all been nationalised, effectively, they are probably all loss-making now. Buses are usually subsidised by local government anyway

My understanding of the tube is that usage is way down, but at peak covid TFL were allegedly running 20-30% of services (for 20% of pax) because they "Had 30% off sick" according to the mayor, who clearly isn't very good at maths. He also isn't very good at telling the whole truth either as it's been revealed since that TFL in fact furloughed thousands of staff at the time, to save money. TFL is broke too, already had to be bailed out by the government, with more needed in autumn, which is going to get interesting because Boris may fancy letting it go bust and taking it off the mayor entirely.

Cars are, anecdotally, running at reduced capacity too - when groups are driving somewhere to meet they are no longer sharing cars across households. That's just anecdotal based on our household experience though.

Bikes and scooters are same capacity as before, but then they are nearly all single-seat anyway.

What other terrestrial vehicles are there?