PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two-star fired from running top secret program office
Old 18th Aug 2020, 11:46
SLXOwft

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
I preface this by saying that on balance my female bosses have been better than the male ones, so I have no axe to grind based on the sex of the individual this story relates to - that may not be true of the algorithm that proposed other stories of interest.

A similar story from last year was suggested.

From Airforce Times 31MAY2019

FSOC one-star falsely claimed flying hours, disrespected subordinates, IG found

Brig. Gen. Brenda Cartier, now the director of operations at Air Force Special Operations Command headquarters at Hurlburt Field, Florida, received a letter of counseling after an inspector general investigation found she failed to treat subordinates with dignity and respect in her previous position, and falsely claimed flight hours on an MC-130J in 2017.

The March 2019 report, which the Air Force provided at Air Force Times’ request, also found that Cartier received $250 in flying incentive pay as a result of the flight hours she improperly claimed in July 2017. The IG report reviewed allegations about Cartier’s actions while she was a colonel, in command of Air Education and Training Command’s 58th Special Operations Wing at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico.

(...)

The IG began investigating Cartier in August 2018, after members of the 58th filed complaints that she had created a toxic command climate and falsely claimed flight hours for pay, among other allegations, the report said.
I am probably being naïve but what I find odd is that these individuals are moved on rather than at least demoted or made to retire. To an outsider there seems to be an alleged element of theft or fraud which should be put before a court. My understanding is that under UK service law, those lower down the command chain could find themselves on an enforced stay at HM's Holiday Camp, Colchester for a severe enough offence of "Bullying or mistreating a subordinate", does the US not take a similarly dim view?

The alleged effects on later senior RN officers of the execution of Admiral Byng comes to mind. IMHO until an individual guilty of fostering a toxic work/command environment is severely punished there is a risk of a degree of toxicity being seen as a tacitly approved.