PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar crewing.. Honest questions
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2003, 13:11
Jetsbest

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts
Jetstar crewing.. Honest questions

OK, I'll be up front and say I'm a QF mainline guy, and not a regular around here.

I've been concerned about the LCC and the 'options' it gives/doesn't give all pilot groups. I've heard the AIPA position, the QF position, and have tried to read between the lines of both. Neither have inspired me much. I've heard the various arguments re pilot efficiency, pay convergence, and the de-valuation of the piloting profession: generally emotive and therefore, I find, less convincing than just the facts.

Firstly, can I summarise what I think has occurred?
a. Impulse pilots have generally been happy with their lot re route structure, rostering, basing and pay,
b. Impulse pilots felt a job security threat coming if QF did not extend the leases on the 717s,
b. to get a 'foot in the door', they have agreed to fly the LCC A320s for the same pay as 717s, and
d. at some point in the past, they have genuinely tried to be represented by AIPA, and been genuinely told to p**s off.

Rumour has it that Impulse pilots have 'unanimously' supported the recent developments. AIPA is saying that it 'definitely has a seat at the table'. Now, I can understand pilots being keen to preserve their job security... no complaints from me there. But I have the following questions for anyone, particularly a real Impulse driver, prepared to enlighten me.
1. Did Impulse pilots really feel excluded from all chance of benefitting from QF expansion without agreeing to these conditions?
2. Was the prospect of offering to do the job for Virgin pay-rates considered (ie QF-10% vice QF-30%)?
3. IF Impulse had been wound up, did Impulse pilots feel that they couldn't ever get a job in a different wholly-owned-fast-growing subsidiary (eg Jetstar?)?
4. Is there a (Virgin-like) expectation that 'if we help them get it up-n-running, they'll look after us with pay parity in a couple of years'?

It won't be a revelation to some, but I feel that AIPA and the I.P.G have been played to a tee by people with vested interests in bonuses achieved through making a misrepresentaition believable. I think most AIPA members are frustrated that, despite all the QF hype about how Australian Airlines and the agreements reached were a complete success, it has counted for nought this time around.

No, I'm NOT angry at Impulse folks. But, as no doubt AIPA has in the past, is it possible you have been scare-mongered into a deal you'll come to resent to some degree some day?
Is there any Impulse person out there prepared to explain their position. Sincerely, thanks.