PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Italy threatens to ban Ryanair over alleged Covid-19 guideline violations
Old 16th Aug 2020, 11:42
robocoder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was forced to fly twice during the brief period in which Spain/UK travel didn't imply quarantine. In both occasions I was assigned the middle seat of an empty half-row. In one of these cases the whole row was empty. The planes were around 1/3 occupation at best.

I haven't read how Ryanair claims to assign seats but it's clear that within the randomness they have rules. They save window/aisle seats for those paying. When you are assigning middle seats first, obviously couples will end separated. This happened also to me in one of these flights, I was in the front (row 6 IIRC) and my travel partner was in a twenty-odd seat.

I find it ridiculous; given that paying for a seat gives you weeks to pick the seat in advance, in the last 48h the non-paying pax can check in it would be minimum politeness to keep people together. But I guess last minute travelers paying for a seat must be kept happy (or less disgruntled).

Once you're made aware of how your system works, incompetence/shortsightedness/cheapness/whatever does turn into malice. The result is a cold war between you and your customers, or should I say your captive clientele. I would never fly Ryanair if I had an alternative for my means. Splitting couples out of greediness has some offensive quality that crosses a line. They should at least factor in the expected plane occupation, particularly in covid times, to recover some goodwill.

​​​​​​Likewise they could be frank about it and it would be less insulting. I can understand (particularly as an often solo traveler) they saying "we save window/aisle for paying customers" but they have to say "you'll be assigned a random seat, probably a middle seat" as if it were a magical occurrence.

Sorry for the rant. I work in optimization and all this boggles my mind. But then, they have the numbers.