PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Length of Full Commercial Pilot Training?
Old 15th Aug 2020, 15:04
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by A1KSA
I understood from Icelanta and Variable Pitch that it would take me 6-18 months to get my fATPL and another 12 months for my PPL/CPL and IR, and finally another 6 months for MCC. Which amounts to around 2 and 1/2 years

Basically, No.

I'm talking about EASA only, and I will simplify things a bit, but basically a CPL and IR with ATPL theory and MCC is a fATPL.

PPL = private
CPL= commercial (what you need to be an FO)
ATPL = Airline transport pilot licence (you can only get one of these if you've already been an FO, it's what you need to be an airline Captain)
If you're modular, you'll get the licences in that order, the IR can be added to either PPL or a CPL and is included in an ATPL

To give you an idea of times:

First you need a class one medical: 1 day

Then you need a PPL: this takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 12 months or longer. 4-6 weeks is quite achievable, but not in the UK!

Once you have a PPL you can start studying for the ATPL exams. You'll have noticed he next level of licence is the CPL, so for the theory you're actually skipping the CPL exams and IR exams and going straight to the ATPL exams (because all exams can be credited downwards so it saves on having to do a lot of exams)
Full time: 6 months. Part time: anywhere up to 24 months. Ignore the 1400 hour comment, the guys obviously a troll! 😂 Bottom line is it'll take as long as it takes...

Any time after your PPL you can go flying to build hours, some people fly during their ATPLs, others wait it's up to you, you just need to end up with certain requirements (100 hours pic, night rating etc) full time somewhere sunny like Florida: 4-6 weeks

Oncec you meet the experience requirements you can start your CPL/IR training. This has to be done within 36 months of your ATPLs (or you'll have to do them again)
A lot of places offer a combined CPL/IR but you can do the modules separately, and if you do I would always recommend doing the IR first (it saves a fortune)
Typical times: 8 weeks

There are a few other things like UPRT that you'll need along the way, but generally the last thing would be an MCC or APS course 2-4 weeks

Now these are all seperate modules so you can't expect them to dovetail perfectly, but you can see that 12 months is entirely achievable without overlapping, and 18-24 months at a very leisurely pace. If you could fly once every other day during your ATPLs you'd knock that down considerably, as would being super prepared and getting lucky with the weather etc..