PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2020, 07:03
[email protected]

Received 629 Likes on 272 Posts
So, back to reality for a moment.

The Schneibel website mentions 6 hours endurance at 55 kts but all of the trials it highlights have been from a shipborne launch and recovery - where is HMCG getting the number of boats required for this?

So the other option is to launch it from the same base as the SAR helicopter using either a ground station or having the operator on the aircraft. Both current SAR aircraft will go to a search or rescue scene at least at 140 Kts - how far behind will the UAV be?

Our UK SAR bases are located specifically to achieve the required response times to cover their area of operation and are often a long transit from the job.

So, if you don't have them on ships (because we don't have any) and basing them at UKSAR helicopter bases is impractical - you are left with either bespoke ground stations/launch and recovery sites around the UK or you shoehorn the operators into the existing but somewhat reduced number of HMCG stations.

I'm not saying you can't find someone with a UAV - it might be more useful to the police for mispers overland - but if you are only going to use it in nice conditions it won't get much use in the UK.

Yes, and as a pilot using sensors in temperate environments. It’s still better (edit: in many situations) than the eyeball in skoshie conditions.
Yes, as a pilot using sensors to back up the Mk 1 eyeball I agree but that is augmenting the eyeball not replacing it.

Have you ever conducted a search in UK either overland or at sea, day or night, in good weather or foul? I have to ask because you sound like an Army UAV operator who has had great success on Ops in Afghan, desperate to ply his trade in a home environment.

One reason I am so resistant, apart from the clear practical issues, is that UKSAR doesn't need beancounters finding ways to reduce flying hours or numbers of aircraft and crews - this will inevitably lead to a reduction is the quality of service, the likes of which have been seen in the NPAS fiasco.

You don't seem to understand that we already have the best sensors on the existing aircraft along with NVD and 4 sets of eyes - on a platform that can actually rescue anyone it finds - the UAV just doesn't bring anything new to the party.