PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moorabbin ATIS IA in VMC ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2020, 05:02
Squawk7700

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
I understood SVFR was only when conditions were non VMC. AIP ENR1.2

Please can someone post the reference about SVFR in VMC,

In this case it is VMC, for a VFR flight this means when you reach the inbound point, you may not be able to get a clearance into the zone if an IFR approach is .happenning or imminent. At Jandakot plenty of VFR flying still goes in when they say EIA, but I have never heard them say it in VMC.

As mentioned above, it may simply be a case of that the ATIS was slow to be updated.

That being said, EIP is a good way to keep aircraft out of the zone without having to individually deny them a clearance at the approach points. Inbound aircraft for recreation and training purposes will simply turn around or go somewhere else when they hear EIP, or they have noticed and crap weather is inbound and are waiting for that.

I’ve seen plenty of times where it has remained as EIP for some time after bad weather because they have a backlog of aircraft to get out and if they open it up, a dozen aircraft will be requesting circuits. I’ve seen 10 aircraft lined up to get out whilst circuits have started up after some fog has cleared and I had to wait nearly 30 minutes.