PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757 pilot had history of hairy landings
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2020, 02:34
Ollie Onion

Received 219 Likes on 75 Posts
That is not an unreasonable amount of hours considering he had reached the maximum retraining sectors being 'up to 3 x the initial training sectors'. I read this to mean that by the time he was on his 3rd line check he had used 120 training sectors which would mean an average flight time of just over 2 hours. That would make sense as well that after 120 sectors he had performed 60 landings. The fact that 11 of those landings resulted in a take over by the training captain speaks volumes. I spent years as a trainer of new pilots onto the A320/21 and could honestly say I had to physically take over less than 11 times in my whole training career. It is a big deal to be having to take over 15% of a single trainees landings. Some people just can't be trained, I had a ppl student handed to me once, he had 120 hours total and hadn't gone solo as he couldn't land. I did about 20 hours of circuits with him and 80% of the time he would do barely passable landings with the other 20% being down right dangerous. I suggested he take up golf, I talked to the CFI and said I had tried everything I could, the student went off to Florida and came back with a PPL, I suggested to the CFI it was a bad idea to rent aircraft to him, I was over ruled and off he went with two friends on a flight. Next thing we got was a phone call from Cranfields TWR to say that this guy had just bounced on landing in the 172, dinged the prop and veered off the runway ending up in a smoking wreck on the grass, thankfully everyone walked away. It can be the hardest thing to do, but sometimes people just don't have the skills to fly an aeroplane and it is only fair to tell them that.