PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFPRB 2020
Thread: AFPRB 2020
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2020, 13:27
cheifofdefence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foghorn, not sure if you are agreeing or challenging! I'm not saying that aircrew are selected on the merits of 'airborne leadership' but that this is the response I get when challenging colleagues about what leadership potential junior aircrew officers have displayed (again this is not to say that they do not possess leadership qualities but that they have had little opportunity to practice, display and develop them). I do agree that everyone is much more aware of leadership which is probably why the AFCAS results (as alluded to in the AFPRB report) do not make favorable reading when it comes to personnel's views on their confidence in the senior leadership of the Service and the extent to which change is managed well (which to me is a leadership function despite the use of the word 'managed'). I also think that we tend to promote on followership rather than leadership - who writes your OJAR - indeed I had one Sqn boss who spent all his time making sure the stats were up to date and no time at all engaging with his people and making them feel part of the team....unsurprisingly he went on to air rank and was still the same when I recently bumped into him at Air Command.