PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lt(jg) Maddy Swegle USN
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2020, 15:31
Lonewolf_50

Received 409 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by finestkind
Really. What a nonsensical thing to say or just what are you saying. That I cannot state that my post is not about whatever and you are going to say yes it is?
How about you focus on this bit - we may agree about more than we don't - and we can leave it at that.
Disenrolling not even certain that’s a word.
It became one when the personnel types wanted a less harsh sounding word than attrite. I did a double-take the first time the Student Control officer used the term in a meeting, and I recall seeing it in various training administrative regulations but that goes back abou a couple of decades.
You can call it a version of US Navy 'Newspeak'.
Aside: There is this never ending fiddling with jargon that can be a pain. We used to have the Replacement Air Group (RAG) for taking newly winged aviators and training them on the fleet type: F-14, CH-46, P-3, etc. We referred to it as "the rag" in conversation. Well, that apparently offended some of our more precious higher ups/congress critters as more ladies joined our ranks during the 80's. The Navy had to change the name. The units were reclassified as "Fleet Replacement Squadron" (FRS). As far as I can tell, that's still the proper term.
I am sure someone got a medal or a letter of commendation for coming up with that brilliant piece of word smithing.
We may have had it inflicted upon us - disenroll for remove from training - during the nascent USAF/USN JPATS development period. USAF uses a lot of strange terms, or so it seemed to me from a Naval perspective.
I am pleased you were a member of the military. I retired from active service 24 months ago.
As above, I suspect we may agree on more than we don't.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 6th Aug 2020 at 15:42.