PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757 pilot had history of hairy landings
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2020, 08:48
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Interesting thread. Heres my take:

The 757 is incredibly easy to land smoothly and accurately:

After a stable approach followed by the 50 feet call, count to three, ( 2 on a 76!) raise the nose to set the correct attitude, about 21/2 degrees, smoothly close close, retard, Thrust levers and jt rolls on beautifully, every time.

The FCTM is quite specific. “ Do NOT allow airplane attitude to increase after touchdown” (caused by spoiler lift, which I believe moves the c of p forward) Risk of tail strike with all the consequences of possible damage to the pressure bulkhead.

Failing a final line check is secondary to ensuring the absolute safety of the aircraft and all on board.

I also feel as an ex RAF CFS QFI and TC the training captain should have been ALMOST hands on to take control, or at least minimise incorrect control input, absolutely as soon as the limit of safety is approached, particularly with a trainee who has shown poor skills in earlier training, final line check or not.

The 757 is a truly delightful aeroplane and a pleasure to fly, and I have often said that if you cant land the 75 perhaps airline flying is not for you !

Back to my morning coffee!

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 6th Aug 2020 at 09:01.