PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757 pilot had history of hairy landings
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2020, 09:27
Uplinker

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts
A sad story.

I know of one person who passed the SIM but could not land the real 'plane, but in all my own type ratings, I have found the real 'plane in real weather much easier to handle and land than the SIM.

I can't help wondering how this F/O was taught how to land a 757 in the first place. I wonder even if they were even looking in the right places for the right cues as they flared.

I remember aeons ago when learning to fly Dash 8s; the TRI telling me to "follow him through" on the controls as he landed* This helped me tune my own technique and get the hang of it. Some people can respond to spoken instructions, others like me, learn much better by feeling or observing the correct actions.

Cannot follow through on an Airbus FBW, but this was a 757 with conventional yokes, so the same thing could have been done.

Another factor is the attitude of the training. If a person is struggling, what they need is a kindly, understanding soul to help them through their difficulty. If instead, they get a shouty person : "come on, concentrate, do it right!", they will likely not improve but get worse. Not saying that was the case here.

*Hello Stan