PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Flight Academy (EFA) selection experiences
Old 4th Aug 2020, 05:23
andy148

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pawly
Besides, why does it matter? I have planned my finances very well and know exactly what I'm getting into. Y
Pawly, can I please give you some advice?

Two years ago I applied for 'generation easyJet' and the Virgin Atlantic cadet program (A330 MPL), I did both assessments, and passed. On the 'generation easyJet' route (A320 MPL), I got as far as being offered a start date. I was subsequently told that I scored an amber on the psychometric testing that said I had a tendency for risk, and the offer was withdrawn. I also had my finances in order, (I would have been 38 yrs old when I started training. And had the funds to pay for everything, but it meant I would not have any cash reserves). I missed out on the Virgin Atlantic cadet scheme in the 3rd stage. Missing out on both these tagged schemes was painful, by then I had my PPL+night rating, with a couple hundred hours.

All the while this was going on, I had a friend who is a senior FO at one of the ME3 telling me it was a bad idea, and to really think about my choices in going into the airlines as a third carrier. I also had a TRE/TRI at the same airline raising eyebrows at my decision. But I knew better, I couldn't see the woods for the trees. What I'm getting at, and what I should have/and did learn, is when people in the very industry you wish to join give you FREE advice. Listen to it, even if it goes against your plan.

If I had carried on and finished flight training, I would now be on out of a job. I was very lucky and managed to dodge a very big bullet. As I sit here now, very relieved. I think about the people that passed and went on to complete their training. And how they're going to survive their very large training loans. This is going to, and has ruined peoples lives. Please think very carefully about parting with upwards of 80k in the current climate.

Get your PPL, enjoy flying for fun. Explore Europe when it reopens. The airlines are going to be there in a few years time, there's no rush (trust me on that).

What ever you decide to do, good luck. Just think through the BS of the recruitment brochures at the flight schools.