PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N Registration SEP in the UK
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2020, 21:55
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richardthethird
Good luck getting a reply from the LAA unless you attach your credit card details!
A bit unfair and not my experience.

However, LAA Engineering are always very busy and the response time is probably slower than normal because they are still working from home at the moment AFAIK.

Has the original poster joined the LAA? Perhaps he/she will then get a better response as a member! He/she will have to join anyway if they buy an aircraft that operates on a LAA permit.

He/she will then also get access to the LAA magazine which often has articles and information about RVs. Apart from LAA inspectors, lots of free information from UK RV owners is also normally available at the LAA rally, sadly cancelled this year because of the pandemic, but watch out for other LAA/RV fly-ins over the next few months.

In any event, most of the information he/she needs to know about importing a homebuilt aircraft is in the LAA document cited by Mark 1.

I have often thought about importing an RV or Kitfox from the USA because of the greater choice and attractive prices {although if you factor in the cost of finding one and getting it over here and inspected/possibly modified, the savings might not be very great) but in the end, I concluded it was not worth the hassle.

My advice would be to find a nice one in the UK and go and fly it (after some help from the LAA Coaching scheme if needed).