PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dale Earnhardt, Jr, Cessna Citation C680 Latitude Crash
Old 26th Jul 2020, 17:44
rak64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeffy
Impressive review and summary:
Engineering Review of Data

Vref+19; throttles at idle during entire approach; time at idle 1:52; no speed-brake deployment at touchdown; bounce lasted 9.4 seconds.
Thanks for the link. After reading the report, I would consider; initially, just a little glitch happens to the pilot, a speed excursion to 220 KIAS, probably he assumed the autothrottle being still engaged.
So he entered high 'total energy' condition. To avoid and/or exit that condition, he has few options:
- Plan the final approach with reduced speed. The report suggests 160 KIAS.
- Interrupt descent to reach gear and flap speed. After intercept glide path from above.
- perform a 360' to reduce total energy and reach the stabilised condition
- if unsuccessfully notice a non stabilised approach, perform a go-around

In my opinion, after the flare, some confusion arrived. Firstly let me highlight, the report proofs; at Vref=119 the available runway was sufficient to stop the aircraft with brakes only that day.
The first touchdown was at 3 wheels simultaneous, with 1,4 G and at a relatively low angle of attack. Under that condition, the aircraft likely bounces immediately. I learned it that way:
-the PM considering: on the ground, then extend the speed brake.
-the PF considers stable on the ground, then activate reverser.
No rush needed. I miss the call outs from PM. His first call was about the CAS-message, 9 seconds after bounce? I haven't read the transcript yet.
The pilot was in doubt about the position of the TR but I reckon his problem was the proper handling of a bounce. I learned it that way:
If push the airplane down, it will bounce again, likely to higher. In a subsequent bounce, structural limits are easy exceeded.
So, stabilize the airplane, execute a second landing. Flare normal. If in doubt, do a go-around.
Of course, as long as the AFM prohibits TR in the air and speed-brakes with full flaps, the position needs to be checked and set to the stored position.
After the 3. bounce, airplane condition has to assumed as not airworthy, an emergency stop has to apply.