PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dale Earnhardt, Jr, Cessna Citation C680 Latitude Crash
Old 25th Jul 2020, 23:50
rjtjrt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by formulaben
  • Scud running when there is an appropriate IFR approach available
  • Behind the airplane
  • No go around on approach when high/fast (when initially spoken about it)
  • No checklists
  • No (apparent) crew briefing for landing (would have included risk factors such as high landing weight, short runway, weather, etc.)
  • Non-standard landing procedure (immediate deployment of T/Rs before speedbrakes and established ground mode)
  • Flat landing with no apparent flare (likely due to speed) causing bounce
  • Horrible bounce recovery and subsequent ambiguity about 2nd bounce recovery
  • Attempted go-around without power (due to T/Rs not stowed) and inappropriate response to it (although airborne T/R deployment may have caused pitch up)
  • Absolute lack of appropriate use of speedbrakes
  • Lack of appropriate use of T/Rs throughout the event, both in deployment and (lack of) retraction
Did I mention no checklists? I trained a few years ago with another knuckleheads who didn't use checklists...imagine my shock when it turns out his flight department was involved in a somewhat high profile multi-fatality accodent?! It boggles my mind...how lazy and unprofessional do you have to be to not read & respond for 5-10 seconds?!

Anyway, reading that was downright scary. Collision with the ditch at the end had to hurt but more importantly looking at the pictures it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how the cyclone fence could have also blocked all exit from the aircraft. This could have been way worse.
See Post 12 video. Doesn’t look like scud running.