PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Rosters
Thread: easyJet Rosters
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2003, 14:38
cosmijewel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason I am sceptical about the PC's chances of changing things is because there is no will on the part of the management to bring about any meaningful change. The PC try hard so fair play to them but they are at present relatively new to the game. This is part of easyjet culture. There has been a PC for years and BALPA have been involved for about 2 years. What happens is that every coupled of years the guys on the PC get exhausted for having tried so hard for so long with no real progress they stand down and get replaced by some new entusiastic chaps like what we have now. The game starts again and easyjet can reel out the same old excuses and game plans. Full marks to the chaps for trying but realistically I expect them to get very little and in a couple of years they'll be standing down due to frustration/exhaustion and someone else will appear bright and bushy tailed to take over. Another reason for scepticism is the fact that the last Chair of the PC stood down as he was going for a senior management position which had become available. You only have to read some of the postings by PC members on here to see what I'm getting at. Some of them read like Company newsletters from spin city.

Maintaining the status quo is heralded by BALPA as a great success because they have there own agenda to increase membership. For example, not so long ago without notice the Company which regards us as there greatest asset withdrew the crew water. For our 10 hour plus Flt Duty periiods we are supposed to bring our own or we can buy water from the on board sales (assuming that there is any left) - who needs water in the dry atmosphere of an aeroplane for 10 hours anyway - aircrew aren't special - they can buy it like the rest of us blah blah orange blah. Well along comes the cavalry in the form of the PC and after a couple of days the water is restored (just as long as you'don't have too much of it). Great success! (NB I seem to recall about a year earlier there was similar incident so the Company will keep trying and one day .................)

I strongly disassociate myself from mjbd's pesonal attacks but some of his views are correct. eaysjet is not a career airline. There are plenty of chaps relatively new for whom it is a first EFIS jet or first airline. The enthusiasm usually lasts 6 months to 2 years. Talk to some of the chaps who've been here for 5 years plus. Almost all of them are anti and bitter and knackered many have had to go part time as the only way to maintain there lifestyle/personal relationships is to give up some pay for more time off (part time work equals part time pay).

The sickness rate is high and that is partly due to low morale and partly because we are all knackered.

Last edited by cosmijewel; 29th Nov 2003 at 14:48.