PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA Doing Fine.
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2003, 09:44
Bob Nash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOPA Board Hassles

It is indeed unfortunate, that there is again division at Board Level.
Rather than give up on AOPA I believe that this is a signal for all of us at grass roots level, to take some time to look at our organisation, and rather than sit back and let some one else do all of the work, put our hands up and offer some assistance.
There are many difficulties that need to be addressed, and it would seem that it is to much to expect that a few elected Board members, have the time and expertise to deal with all of these issues, without some input from those members who they are trying to support and work for.
To take the responsibility to work for this Board, require a great deal of dedication of time and effort, and it seems to me that they have been asked to do everything themselves.
The difficulties over the past few years, would seem to indicate that maybe we should consider changes, so that our elected Board members are given greater support and assistance.
There have been suggestions that we have area representatives, who could be non executive officers for AOPA and who would be used to channel information through to members in their area.
We have in place already affiliated aero clubs, so why not make these affiliated Aero Clubs, area representatives. This would enable grass roots members to have more say, and to be actively involved in discussions, before decisions are reached.
How can we know if the decisions arrived at are good ones, if we do not know about the lead up discussions and arguments.
I would ask that members take the time to find out what has been going on, and then to commence making some direct contributions.
If you have some ideas and concerns, then now is the time to speak, and perhaps recommend some changes for the improvement of this organisation. We need to be constructive and work together to inform our Board of the wishes of their members.
We are fortunate to have this forum, that allows for comments and recomendations, via a medium that has access to most of our members, and very little cost. So please use it constructively.