PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dale Earnhardt, Jr, Cessna Citation C680 Latitude Crash
Old 22nd Jul 2020, 16:25
formulaben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
  • Scud running when there is an appropriate IFR approach available
  • Behind the airplane
  • No go around on approach when high/fast (when initially spoken about it)
  • No checklists
  • No (apparent) crew briefing for landing (would have included risk factors such as high landing weight, short runway, weather, etc.)
  • Non-standard landing procedure (immediate deployment of T/Rs before speedbrakes and established ground mode)
  • Flat landing with no apparent flare (likely due to speed) causing bounce
  • Horrible bounce recovery and subsequent ambiguity about 2nd bounce recovery
  • Attempted go-around without power (due to T/Rs not stowed) and inappropriate response to it (although airborne T/R deployment may have caused pitch up)
  • Absolute lack of appropriate use of speedbrakes
  • Lack of appropriate use of T/Rs throughout the event, both in deployment and (lack of) retraction
Did I mention no checklists? I trained a few years ago with another knuckleheads who didn't use checklists...imagine my shock when it turns out his flight department was involved in a somewhat high profile multi-fatality accodent?! It boggles my mind...how lazy and unprofessional do you have to be to not read & respond for 5-10 seconds?!

Anyway, reading that was downright scary. Collision with the ditch at the end had to hurt but more importantly looking at the pictures it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how the cyclone fence could have also blocked all exit from the aircraft. This could have been way worse.