PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So why are the Austrians ditching Typhoon?
Old 22nd Jul 2020, 08:08
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by msbbarratt
................. Whilst not being aware of the specifics of contracts between DE&S and parts suppliers, I wouldn't mind betting (apologies if this is wrong) that it's lots of little contracts rather than long term, large ones. .........
Hi msbbarratt, FWIW, as part of the attempted support transformation in the UK MoD Air Sector over the past 15 years or so, Typhoon comes under TyTAN https://www.baesystems.com/en/produc...-typhoon-fleet . Others were/are SKIOS (Sea King), IMOS (Merlin), ATTAC (Tornado) and Apache IOS (for, erm, Apache!). Not sure about the other Fleets as these are the ones I have had direct dealings with over the years. It should be noted that TyTAN is aimed at saving support costs with a view to ploughing those savings back into capability enhancements for the UK jets. So TyTAN is more about shifting existing sums of money (present/planned) from one pot to another but the overall result is the same - support costs down, except that, here, Industry hopes for no net loss of income, just that the income streams they receive from the MoD (Support vs Capability enhancements) shift from the former into the latter. A simplified description of course!!!

Has the Integrated Operational Support (IOS) model, launched by SKIOS in the mid-2000's, been a success in driving down through life support costs and providing improved availability? I've not seen the sums so I'll leave that to others to comment on. What has not changed are the problems/issues the Primes have with either their suppliers (generally solved by passing cost and risk on to them I suspect) or the bigger issues which surround multi-national programmes such as Typhoon which bring their own international management/development priorities/issues which, of course = extra cost/time. Then there's continually changing "Defence Requirements" - a subject with it's own Thread on PPRuNe! Again, a simplified overview of the issues!

Re Austria, with such a small fleet, it's hard to make your voice heard over the calls on Industry resources made by bigger customers - and that's before there are any political games within Austria itself.

Out that game now so others will know more. Cheers, H 'n' H

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 22nd Jul 2020 at 08:20.