PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting onto fixed-gear Saratoga
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2020, 01:35
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
The biggest issue with transitioning to an airplane that is not the typical flight school type is getting a checkout from someone who actually has experience in operating the type and can give you the tips and tricks and the gotcha’s

If the only aircraft your instructor has flown is a warrior than it is a waste of time to get your checkout from him/her

Some of thr things I would expect to see covered in a check out for someone going from an Archer to a Saratoga would be

- Operation of the fuel injected IO 540. Starting, particularly when hot is very different from the simple 4 banger in the Archer. Similarly proper leaning is important

- Operating a constant speed propeller

- practical advice on power settings for high cruise, normal cruise, and economical cruise. Personally I find the most comfortable power settings are over square, 23 in and 2200 RPM is one I use a lot

​​​- WeIght and balance in practice. You have 6 seats and 2 baggage areas. What is the best way to load. Personally I think the ideal C of G is about 1/3 from the aft limit.

- handling practice at both extremes. light and forward C of G and gross weight and aft C of G. The airplane feels quite different at these 2 extremes

- The sight picture on landing. The airplane normally sits a bit tail low and has a wide and long cowl., and so to get a good flare you will not be able to see straight see over the nose

- The airplane has 3 doors. Making sure they are all closed and locked particularly the nose baggage door is important as well as what to do if one opens in flight.