PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR72 - Sea collision
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2020, 23:31
A320LGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDS
Doubtful they had an engineer at AHU as it's a tiny station.

It appeared to have an erroneous fault at FL160 during cruise however functioned correctly during the approach:

This is the most shocking part. I don't see how it was 'untimely' when triggering at 60ft radio altitude almost 2km from the runway. It appears he wasn't concerned about the error during cruise, but rather the correct warning during a dangerous approach.

The whole thing is baffling.
This is what I am wondering, are they referring to 'untimely' as in the GPWS faulting and master caution appearing or untimely the fact it told them to pull up whilst they went full cowboy? The avherald is unclear of the specifics regarding this.

I want to know why a GPWS master caution went off before all the drama and if so did they attribute the warnings on final approach to that master caution they had previously encountered and therefore dismissed them? This could be significant as it indicates they saw absolutely nothing wrong with driving along at 100ft nearly 2km from the runway and in their minds meant there shouldn't have been any warnings, making them switch them off later on.

I have had this exact fault once and it was on the ground after push back. We taxied back onto the stand and the flight was subsequently cancelled. We had realised ourselves we couldn't go anywhere (MEL) and even the arrival of the engineers couldn't fix it. The fact they sought self diagnosis in this manner is incredible, not even a phone call back to Casablance? Most peculiar.