PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR72 - Sea collision
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2020, 21:46
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
Indeed but most of us here were raised and trained in a western culture and our manuals and rules designed originally with anglo-saxon rationale. We are judging those safety events on our western rational minds
Other Cultures often adapt those rules. Morocco is one of them ........
Quite agreed ATC Watcher - and that's where this becomes a mare. As you yourself know, there has been much discussion in recent Threads, such as the PIA A320 crash Thread, as to how different cultural mind-sets subtly, or maybe not-so-subtly, drag certain areas of the world away from the so-called "western" standard you & I refer to - but where they end up is, to them, perfectly "normal" so, in that respect, who are we to judge.

Hell, we even have quite a bit of deviation within that "western" standard in the, erm, West - thinking of the recent ATP Thread and, as someone else mentioned, the "Barton Birdwatchers" saga - even though that was a light single with a PPL operating what was deemed a commercial flight https://www.cps.gov.uk/north-west/ne...mercial-flight - or the Emiliano Sala crash which seems to have been masterminded by those who should be aware of what was expected of them and their pilot.

Where other cultures apply their norms to adapt the "western" standard, things inevitably happen differently. In many cases, such new norms (near-vertical gradients between the boss (Capt) and the lackey (P2)) have existed for 1000's of years so a few CRM courses is not going to change much when the whole of society operates on a fundamentally different basis. Therein lies my comment re the Holy Grail re finding a "one size fits all" solution.

No answers, just more questions I'm afraid!