PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - about the separation between departing aircraft and the following landing aircraft
Old 13th Jul 2020, 08:24
parishiltons

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LastStandards
Indeed, that is probably the controller's expectation, not least with our slower groundspeed. The reality is that training aircraft at this particular airport (not my home base, but does have based MEP operators) are often climbing with significantly reduced performance while simulating engine failures - another discussion topic perhaps. Decent headwind days put us far closer to potential wake from 737/A320 departures cleared to an initial level 3-4000' above our cleared level.

Thanks to all agreeing that there is a potential issue here. Quiet discussions are ongoing but I would far rather educate and liaise than regulate, not least to find out what we can do better to communicate potential issues. It's not a constant issue at the airport in question but is notable because it's the only airfield I use regularly where I've had to consider negotiating an early turn etc 4 times in the last 2 years - statistically insignificant, but more exciting for us. Also worth noting that tower ATCOs have recognised the issue every time at a late stage, so awareness does exist, but indicative of complexities when mixing medium, heavy, light, and training traffic in reasonably close proximity. Worst case would be for the airfield to stop accepting training traffic due to workload/risk!
Absolutely - communication is way better than quoting the rules to each other at 10 paces. Suggest you set up a meeting between your organisation (and any other training organisations that conduct similar operations), and the local ATC check and standardisation people and operations supervisors. The outcome could a a letter of agreement or something similar that puts parameters around how your operations are interfaced with other traffic. The alternative is to risk having training operations restricted. Hope it works out for you.