PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - about the separation between departing aircraft and the following landing aircraft
Old 10th Jul 2020, 23:10
LastStandards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wake turbulence is an increasing threat in the training world - at one airfield in particular with a low to medium flow rate I/my student has been well inside 4nm (Light) when a departure (Medium or greater) has been released. Marginal but manageable, except we're planned/announced to go around not to land. And a reasonable headwind, putting the ensuing wake turbulence neatly in our climbout lane. Individual tower controllers vary with awareness and negotiation on this - some are excellent once the issue has been recognised by offering alternatives, others are perhaps not as aware from the training or organisational background.

Training is complex for all, but the majority of instrument training does need the full approach to be truly valid - particularly on a test where to complete an approach for my candidate they need the opportunity to fly it to procedure minima. On the flip side, while training traffic may be a little slower to respond to calls/not perfectly accurate at times, all IFR training is done with a suitably qualified adult observing/commanding, which ought to control the risk level a bit.

Really very happy to discuss this with ATCOs/arrange liaison flights once easily possibly to try and foster understanding on all sides, since ultimately we're all working towards the same aim of minimum paperwork/maximum achievement!